FLINT & DENBIGH HUNT BRANCH OF THE PONY CLUB
HUNTER TRIALS & TETRATHLON
Sataturday and Sunday 22nd & 23rd September 2018
By permission of
Mr & Mrs GW Pierce
Access for parking NOT suitable for large vehicles
(Please ring if in doubt)
All entries to be in by
Monday 10th Sep 2018
NO LATE ENTRIES ACCEPTED
ENTRY FEE HT £15 PAIRS £20
Open to Pony Club members only
The Wynnstay are having a tetrathlon and mini ODE on the weekend of August 4th and 5th 2018
Please find attached the full results from Saturday’s competition. Please let me know if there are any queries.
Many thanks to those of you who have sent messages of appreciation – they have been passed onto the EC team.
We had our largest competition, in terms of entries, to date with 277 dressage tests performed, 276 show jump rounds and 263 riders going Cross Country and yet we managed to finish within about 30 minutes of planned time. For that I am grateful to all of you, the competitors, and to our army of volunteers. You were also most generous with your donations to the NW Air Ambulance, over £800 raised, and I am sure we will be adding to that substantially once all the accounts are finalised.
I am once again in admiration of the King family and all their team who prepared superb facilities for us with extensive watering of the dressage arenas and performing the Herculean task of getting over 1.5 million litres of water onto the XC course on Friday alone. I think you all agree that after such a dry spell it was incredible that the going was so good. Thanks also to the Somerford based XC course designer and International Event Rider, Andy Heffernan, who gave you all much to think about on the course. We know we are very fortunate to have such superb facilities on our doorstep.
Many thanks to our Official Steward, Wendy Penny, who was most helpful, considerate and supportive to all the officials and riders/friends – especially to two young riders who perhaps suffered a little loss of confidence during the day and were helped to a clear XC round and placings after her mentoring them.
I could not begin to list all those who helped, gave of their time so freely and who deserve our gratitude so I will just mention by name the team leaders who, with their respective teams, worked tirelessly all day:
- Event Secretary Pennie Drummond whose team kept the whole operation ticking over and were very much our public face both from taking your declarations to organising the presentations;
- Chief Dressage Steward Corrie McLellan and team who kept the five dressage arenas moving in searing heat all day long – with courageous dressage judges who were sat in their cars without question and with few breaks. Special mention for one of the judges who has asked that her fee be paid to the RDA – we will add to that before sending it off;
- Chief Show Jumping Steward Louise Cairns and team who kept the whole thing moving – show jumping is inevitably a pinch-point for eventing but it ran superbly well;
- Chief Cross Country Steward Sharon Kennett who, along with our Official Steward Wendy Penny, ensured that the XC course ran smoothly and efficiently;
- XC Controller/Commentator Ian (Tiny) McLellan and XC starter Graham Ashmore and teams who kept us all informed, safe and in order on the XC course;
- Event Scorer Emily Barnes and team for getting the results out in record time despite the complexity of the competition and the challenges met along the way;
- Judges’ and officials catering team led by John and Jill Walton who kept the volunteers fed and watered all day;
- Volunteers Organiser Sally Harris who had the unenviable task of finding about 150 helpers to keep the whole show on the road;
- To our Honorary Vet., Arnie Agnew, who thankfully had a quiet day – for the most part!
- And to everyone else who helped – they were all magnificent and we couldn’t do it without them.
If they can all be persuaded to do it again, the 2019 Cheshire Shield is scheduled for Saturday the 6th July – so make a note in your diary now!
The course photographer was Martha Lily Thompson of Martha Lily Photography whose gallery of photos from the Cheshire Shield can be found at https://www.marthalilyphotography.co.uk/v/photos/73709mss/cheshire-shield-7th-july-2018
We also had a video photographer on site – Nick Skipper of Meadow Productions Ltd. – and details of how to get a video recording of your XC round can be found at https://www.meadowproductions.co.uk/order/cheshireshield
Geoff Bell … District Commissioner
For your information – Please see below an email which will be sent to all Cheshire Shield Horse Trials / Area Event entrants today:
Now that entries have closed, I write to confirm to all those who have submitted an entry form that your form has been received and will be considered over the next few days. It also gives me a chance to test the email lists to ensure that we iron out any address problems as early as possible. Most of you have taken care when supplying email addresses but there are a few that would defy the most expert graphologist.
PLEASE NOTE – THIS IS A CONFIRMATION OF RECEIPT OF ENTRIES ONLY – NOT AN INDICATION THAT A SLOT HAS BEEN ALLOCATED.
This year the entries are even greater than usual and it is inevitable that some of you will be disappointed. We will notify by email those entrants whose entries have been balloted out within the next few days. It may be possible for us to transfer some or all of those entries to the following day, Sunday 8th July.
This year entries for both Class 1 (PC80) and Class 2 (PC90) have been overwhelming and together account for over 75% of total entries. Since we had expected entries to be concentrated on these two classes, we hope to be able to accommodate more than previously.
We do accept late entries but they must be accompanied by a cheque for the late entry fee of £85. We will operate a waiting list and cheques will not be processed until a place has been allocated. Late entries for Class 4 (PC110) are welcome.
The competition will run in numerical class order (1/2/3/4 – 80/90/100/110) and I expect the dressage arenas will commence at 8.00 a.m. In my next email I hope to give an indication of expected start and finish times for all classes.
Pony Club Teams: If you have not already done so, please advise which of your members are to be included in teams and, where you have more than one team in a class, notify a name for each team. Riders in classes 3 & 4 whose branch do not already have a team in that class, will be notified to the respective Area Representative for consideration of forming mixed teams. If D.C’s or team organisers wish to confirm the entries for their branch, please email me. Teams must be notified no later than FRIDAY 29th June – the earlier the better.
If you do for any reason need to email about an entry – PLEASE QUOTE THE RELEVANT CLASS NUMBER (1- 2 – 3 or 4).
- Please contact Rhiannon Rix directly …. details below … email@example.com
- Cholmondeley Castle Tri-Star Eventing Horse Trials: 28th & 29th July 2018
My name is Rhiannon Rix, I am an event organiser working at Musketeer Event Management. I am writing today as we have upcoming our annual horse trials at Cholmondeley Castle, which I believe is local to your Area and Pony Club branches.
We are seeking volunteers for the event with roles to fill such as XC fence judges, SJ arena party and XC crossing point stewards. I wondered if volunteering may interest any of your members? I grew up in the Pony Club and know how beneficial as a young rider it can be to watch professionals up close and start to understand the way an event works. It is also a great way to give back to the sport and something to be massively proud of as we all know events just simply wouldn’t run without our amazing volunteers.
As such I wondered if you would think about spreading the word in your area and seeing if you could drum up some interest. Volunteers receive goody bags full of gifts from our sponsors, entry into prize draws, refreshments on tap including breakfast and for those competing over that weekend start fee-vouchers!
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours Sincerely … Rhiannon Rix firstname.lastname@example.org
Musketeer Event Management Ltd. www.musketeer.co.uk
+44 (0) 1485 210070